As he talks,
I listen to his every word.
I marinate in his words.
I tell him,
Brotha, lift that tongue up.
Search between the tight spaces of white teeth.
Dig for words deep in your throat.
And I remind,
if Allah revealed the Quran slowly.
Chapter by chapter,
Sentence by sentence,
Word by word,
then I will reveal myself slowly to you.
The key to my body lies lost in your mouth.
Sometimes I will check the statistics page of my blog. Often, it just gives me insight into my most popular posts. Hot Hijabis and Secret wife= Glorified “side piece” (over 1.5K shares!) have been two of my most popular pieces so far.
Paying attention to the blog statistics allows me to see what my readers click on most. I can also see what Google searches lead people to my page. Recently, someone searched “sweet things to say to a Muslim woman” and was guided to MuslimnLove.
I am as cheesy and they come and I let out a huge “awwwww” when I saw that.
Ya’ll both my face and heart smiled. At that moment I was filled with love.
The essence of this blog is to enhance my writing and allow a space for the Black Muslim woman to express her thoughts on love, life and Islam. I am very big on us controlling our own narrative. No one needs to speak for the Black Muslim woman but herself. Even within this I speak for my own unique experiences. I speak as a Black woman, I speak as an East Afrikan woman, I speak as a Muslim. I also speak as a woman who has lived abroad within different cultural settings. I have many platforms that influence how I view the world. I am open and unfiltered. Writing is an art and I use it to express my deepest thoughts and emotions. Art can not be censored and any artist would agree in the therapeutic importance of expression.
Words help to connect people and today not only do I celebrate MuslimnLove’s 3 year anniversary but I celebrate the sweetness of words.
5 sweet things to say/do to a Muslim woman
1. Love wins. Let your heart talk. No matter where you are from, what color your skin is or how old you are EVERY woman enjoys being told that she is beautiful by the man she loves. Allow your heart to speak for you. This feels best when it’s unexpected. For instance, she is adjusting her hijab in the mirror and halal bae walks by and says “You’re pretty baby girl.” This is honey to our eardrums. When a woman feels loved she opens up in so many unimaginable ways. Open her up. Plus, everyone wants to be attractive to their partner.
2. Don’t only walk it out but talk it out. Explore her mind. Show her that there is an interest in her thoughts. Now, if you are on the brinks of a new relationship with a sister I suggest you utilize this one to the fullest. When you show an interest in what she likes then she will show even a bigger interest in you. Like I mentioned above, the mind of a woman must be opened first. To fully engage a woman you have to intellectually stimulate her before anything else.
3. Count on me. A woman wants to feel like she can count on you. Make her feel like you are dependable. When she needs to count on someone you need to be the person she relies on. A sense of stability is the sweetest thing for a woman. We love men who handle their business and then assist us in handling ours. Whether its subconscious we equate dependability with being good husbands, fathers and leaders.
4. Listen. We will talk. Talk. Talk some more. You are encouraged to listen and we will know if you aren’t listening. Interject once in a while. This proves you are actually listening. Women thrive off of emotional intimacy. Be her source of emotional intimacy. Let her know you care. Look her in the eyes when she is talking rather than at your phone. Don’t only listen with your ears, listen with your body. Take all of her in.
5. Time. I can not stress this aspect enough. Since I was a teenager I have had a saying in my life, “People ALWAYS make time for what they want to do.” Now, if you want to watch a TV show, go shopping or hang with a friend you will block out a certain time during your day to do that. Many women equate time with love. So if you aren’t making time we may think you don’t love us. This is just the truth.
4 thoughts on “Words”
The piece u did on “Words” really made me look at myself! It is like u were speaking for me or the way i would have spoken. Most times i find it difficult to express how i deeply feel. How do u do it with such ease? I feel like i am bottled up n just have so much to say. But whatever reason it is struggling to come out. I want so bad to be able to express my self. Dp u have any advice?
My sister queen, just write. Without inhibition. Always write without worry of what other think.
all i wanted to say is that how difficult it is for a black muslim women to get married and that we say a lot of things about equility and that their is not such things like black and white,race,cast,nationality in islam,so sister i want to prove it right and i also want to make allah and my muhammad happy peace be up on him….so i am ready to marry a black muslim women no matter how she looks no matter what is her past even if she was a prostitute and now have repented and has become a good muslimah,i am 200% willing to marry her so if their is any 1 out there then plz contact me
Waqas, thank you for reading. I appreciate it. I wish you luck in your search.